Outdoor Recreation Infrastructure Scheme 2022

Expressions of Interest are sought for the Outdoor Recreation Infrastructure Scheme 2022. The deadline for submissions is 21st March 2022. 

The Outdoor Recreation Infrastructure Scheme provides funding for the development of new outdoor recreational infrastructure.  It also provides support for the necessary maintenance, enhancement or promotion of existing outdoor recreational infrastructure in rural areas across Ireland.  The scheme is funded by Department of Rural and Community Development. 

The 2022 scheme emphasises the opportunities for recreational amenities located near rivers, lakes and beaches and also seeks to support recreational infrastructure that provides an inclusive approach for communities to deliver outlets that support a diverse range of users, including people with disabilities and older adults.

The 2022 scheme will, in particular, prioritise projects which have evidence of strong community engagement.

Applications under the Scheme must demonstrate a collaborative approach, working with the local community and stakeholders.

Positioning rural areas to respond to the post-COVID-19 economic environment and the tourism sector in particular, projects that can display a specific tourism or other sectoral impact that may aid economic recovery are encouraged. Applicants are encouraged to review projects funded in previous years to get an understanding of the diverse types of projects eligible. Lists of projects funded previously are available at Gov.ie.

The scheme supports sporting and recreational pursuits.  It helps to make use of the resources of the countryside that contribute to healthy active lifestyles.  It supports the economic and tourism potential of the area for both local communities and tourist visitors alike. 

It provides funding for:                                                                                                                                              

  • development, extensions and repair of trails, walkways, cycleways and blueways
  • improved access to leisure or recreational facilities
  • development of outdoor recreational infrastructure

Up to 90% of the total cost of a project under the Scheme will be provided for any individual project. The remaining 10% match funding must be contributed by the successful applicant and/or the community group and/or philanthropic contributions. Applications for expressions of interest are accepted from local authorities and/or state agencies under the following measures:

  • Measure 1 - Small Scale Repair/Development/Promotion and MarketingThis includes, but is not limited to, the upkeep, repair and development of trails, walkways, cycleways, greenways, blueways recreational facilities at bogs, rivers, lakes and beaches, natural play areas that form part of a larger outdoor recreation project and the promotion and marketing of such infrastructure. Projects should, where possible, indicate how they are inclusive of people with disabilities and older adults. Grant aid amounts of up to €30,000.

 

  • Measure 2 - medium-scale repair/upgrade and new trail/amenity development This includes, but is not limited to, extensions/upgrades to already established trails, walkways, cycleways, greenways, blueways or other recreational facilities at bogs, rivers, lakes or beaches. Projects can also include works for the enhancement, repair or promotion of such infrastructure, or for improved access to recreational infrastructure or the development of new trails, walkways, cycleways, local greenways, blueways or other recreational facilities. Projects should, where possible, indicate how they are inclusive of people with disabilities and older adults. Grant amounts of up to €200,000.

 

  • Measure 3 - large-scale repair/upgrade and new strategic trail development. This could include projects such as the development of new larger-scale recreational infrastructure, or resources to complete larger scale/longer term developments, as well as significant repair and maintenance on already established trails, walkways, cycleways, greenways, blueways or recreational amenities at bogs, rivers, lakes and beaches. Projects should, where possible, indicate how they are inclusive of people with disabilities and older adults. Grant amounts of up to €500,000.

Please submit your expression of interest, outlining a detailed summary of your proposed project idea, with a breakdown of the costings involved to valerie.mchugh@louthcoco.ie or return it in writing to: Valerie Mc Hugh, Community Section, Louth County Council, County Hall, Dundalk, Co Louth.

Closing date for receipt of Expressions of Interest is 4pm Monday 21st March 2022.