Application of FW Woolworth and Company Limited, 6/7 West Street, Drogheda for explosive licence for the sale of Christmas crackers and toy percussion caps for toy pistols. A licence was granted. 25 Sep 1964 - 30 Nov 1964. These documents are taken from Drogheda Borough Corporation's planning files archive collection
Demolition of Market House, Dundalk in August 1968. Photograph taken from the Old Dundalk Society's Collection of Photographs.
The Market House once acted as the Guildhall and official rooms of Dundalk Corporation. Later the lower part of the building stored corn while the upper area held dances and meetings. While building the courthouse in the early nineteenth century, the county assizes were held in the Market House including the Wild Goose Lodge trials in 1817-18. In 1844, the Mechanics Institute and Library was located in the building, and in 1855 it was used as Assembly Rooms, Savings Bank and Guildhall.
Although Dundalk Corporation contributed to the cost of repairing the building its ownership lay with Lord Roden. The Market House and Square which had come into the ownership of the Gray family, who were corn merchants, were sold by them in 1944 for £9,000 to Mr Bernard McGuinness, merchant.
Prior to the Market House located at the Square, a linen hall existed at the junction of Linenhall Street and Church Street. This building had also been known as the Market House.
Letter from Eoin O'Mahony, Dublin, barrister-at-law, to Louth County Council seeking nomination for the presidential election in 1959. (size 211.7 KB)
September - Printed notice, that 'the pure bred short-horned bull Red Sultan the property of Mr. Dornan, Nicholastown, will serve a limited number of cows this season at 11s[hillings] per cow. - PP99/3/2 Part of the collection relating to the Louth Farming Society, which is currently on display as part of our exhibition 'Archival Treasures of County Louth'. This exhibition will be in place at our headquarters in the Old Gaol, Ardee Road, Dundalk, until 30th September and is open from Monday to Friday, 9.30am to 4.30pm (closing for lunch 1-2pm). (size 269.7 KB)
August Dog licence issued by Dundalk Urban District Council in 1923.pdf (size 195 KB)
Rental of part of the estate of the Hon. A.C. Dunlop in the townlands of Coolfore, Tymullen, Cordoogan, and Monasterboice. Taken from a volume of estate rentals managed by Alfred H. Wynne, who, along with the Emersons, collected rents from a number of estates in counties Louth and Meath. Dated year ending 1st November 1887 and 1 May 1888.
Value of furniture and fittings belonging to the Castlebellingham dispensary, drawn up after the last meeting of the committee, which was held on 10th March 1899. The meeting concluded by recording the appreciation for the services of Dr O’Hagan and of the midwife, Mrs Mary Jane Ward
Pamphlet of the Ardee and Castlebellingham District Nursing Association containing a list of names of President, Vice-Presidents, Secretaries and General Committee; lists of names and amounts of subscription in descending order and a statement of accounts for the year ending 1917
Invitation to William Filgate to meeting of the Order of the Friendly Brothers of Saint Patrick, held at the Rose Tavern
Letter sent to School Managers in County Louth following wide-spread vandalism of road signs.
Map and survey of cottages and gardens on Mr John McGeough's farm, Haggardstown. Surveyed 22 June 1861 by John Craig. From a collection of documents, reference P/321
Document relating to the sale of John Fearon's Public House, which was situated at Ballagan, County Louth. Fearon offered his interest and publican's license to Macardle Moore, Brewers, of Dundalk, County Louth for £500. This offer was accepted. Dated 15 July 1901(size 166 KB)