Recovery Vehicles

Taxation of Recovery Vehicles

N.B As from 13th August 2007 recovery vehicles require a roadworthiness test once they are one year old.

From 1/6/05 persons wishing to tax a vehicle for the first time as a recovery vehicle must contact us to arrange a date & time to bring the vehicle to your nearest Motor Tax Office (Dundalk/Drogheda) for inspection.

While the Revenue Commissioners may already have certified a vehicle as a recovery vehicle when it’s being imported, this vehicle still needs to be inspected by the Louth County Council Motor Tax Office.

Inspection reports are also required when a change of ownership occurs on a recovery vehicle.

In preparation for the inspection vehicle owners should identify the location of the chassis number on the vehicle, they will also need to present the Registration book/VRC/VLC, valid insurance certificate & a current road worthiness certificate or valid pass statement from an authorised tester on the day of the inspection.

On the day of inspection the owner will also be required to complete statutory declaration form RF104 declaring that the vehicle will be used solely as a "Recovery Vehicle" i.e. will be used exclusively in connection with the lifting, towing and transporting of a disabled vehicle & declare that the appropriate Motor Traders/Recovery Insurance is in place under the Road Traffic Act 1961.. Following satisfactory inspection of the vehicle the customer will be given a certificate which they then produce to the MTO with their tax renewal form RF100a, Form RF104, pass statement/current CRW & appropriate fee when applying to tax the vehicle.