County councils were set up under the Local Government (Ireland) Act, 1898, and since then they have undergone some changes, most notably the introduction of the managerial system in 1942. This system abolished the committees dealing with the various functions and took direct control of health and public assistance matters.
The county council archives vary ranging from very important to trivial. Certain archives will have restricted access. The main sections existing in the Louth County Council archives' include finance, rates and valuation, sanitary services, roads & traffic, housing, planning/fire/building control, motor taxation, environment, and general purposes.
For the Louth County Council descriptive list, go to the 'Advanced Search' tab on the 'Search' page of our online catalogue and type in the collection code LCC/ into the 'Reference' field and click 'search'. NB Some collections may be subject to restricted access.
- For Administration archives only, type in LCC/ADM/
- For County Engineering Department archives only, type in LCC/CED/
- For Finance archives only, type in LCC/FIN/
- For Health & Public Assistance archives only, type in LCC/HPA/
- For Housing archives only, type in LCC/HSG/
- For Minute Books only, type in LCC/MB/
- For Motor Tax archives only, type in LCC/MT/
- For Ordnance Survey maps only, type in LCC/OS/ - NB this collection is being updated and may not yet be available
- For Planning archives only, type in LCC/PLA/
- For Rate Books only, type in LCC/RB/
- For Roads archives only, type in LCC/RDS/
- For Sanitary Services (water, sewerage) archives only, type in LCC/SS/ - NB this collection is small as older archives can be found under LCC/CED/
- For Valuation Books only, type in LCC/VB/