Archives of Urban Authorities
|Ardee Corporation||Dundalk Town Commissioners|
|Ardee Town Commissioners||Dundalk Urban District Council|
|Carlingford Corporation||Dunleer Corporation|
|Dundalk Municipal Corporation||Drogheda Borough Corporation|
Archives from these bodies date back to the twelfth century, and in County Louth charters from the fourteenth century exist. The Municipal Corporations (Ireland) Act, 1840, reduced the number of municipal corporations that existed and councils subsequently became elected democratically. The Lighting of Towns Act, 1828 permitted the formation of bodies of town commissioners and after the Public Health Act of 1874, town commissioners could apply to become the sanitary authority, thereby changing their status to urban district council. The urban authorities remained largely unaffected by the changes of the early part of this century that gave extra powers to county councils.
For the descriptive lists of archives of urban authorities, go to the 'Advanced Search' tab on the 'Search' page of our online catalogue and type in the collection codes listed below into the 'Reference' field and click 'search'.
- For Ardee Corporation, type in AC/
- For Ardee Town Commissioners, type in ATC/
- For Carlingford Corporation, type in CC/
- For Dundalk Municipal Corporation, type in DMC/
- For Dundalk Town Commissioners, type in DTC/
- For Dundalk Urban District Council, type in DUDC/
- For Dunleer Corporation, type in DC/
- For Drogheda Borough Corporation, type in DBC/