Old Gaol Building

Louth County Archives is housed in the southern cell-block of a magnificent mid-nineteenth century gaol building located on the Ardee Road, Dundalk.  Originally built in 1853, the building ceased to function as a gaol in 1931 and was later used by Louth County Council as stores for their Roads Department before it became the County Archives after being refurbished in 1999 – 2000.  The refurbishment project preserved original features of the gaol that had survived such as doors, number-plates, bells, the stone floor and the slate walkways.  The building contains 52 cells on two floors, the majority of which are now used for storage and a small basement that houses heating and air-handling plant.

Features include:

  • Work space for basic cleaning, cataloguing and arrangement of collections.

  • Environmentally controlled storage for collections.

  • Research Room with internet access where the public can consult archives.

  • Exhibition and lecture space.

  • Located approximately two minutes walk from Dundalk train station and five minutes walk to the town centre.