We carry out the following tasks to ensure the long-term preservation and accessibility of archives:
Arrange acquisition of archives; accession new collections. Louth County Archives is the designated repository for collections of Louth Local Authorities, its predecessor bodies and local or private archives illustrating the historical development of County Louth.
Manage, preserve and process the archival collections:
- Identify those records which should be kept permanently as archives and those that do not warrant permanent archival preservation. Records kept as archives will have their integrity safeguarded in order to protect the reliability of the information they contain. The security of archival collections requires the provision of descriptive lists, the comprehensive numbering and sub-numbering of documents, the supervision of researchers using documents and the provision of security copies.
- Catalogue, arrange and number archives to ISAD(G) standard in a manner that is compatible with the provenance of the collection.
- Standardise existing catalogues to ISAD(G) standard.
- Identify sensitive and confidential records for closure or restricted access.
- Assess conservation needs of the collection and arrange for treatment as necessary.
- Carry out basic preservation. Pack and store archives in acid-free archival materials.
- Update catalogues on the Online Archive Catalogue system and Archive Collections web-page.
- Provide Research Guides and indexes to archives held to facilitate research.
Provide supervised public access to catalogued archives and assist researchers with enquiries.
Provide public exhibitions, archival displays, talks and other outreach activities as resources permit.
Ensure the provision of secure, environmentally controlled storage conditions.
Manage the storage areas and internal transfers of collections.
Provide records management services to Louth Local Authorities:
- Provide advice on the management and retention of non-archival records to local authority staff in compliance with legislation.
- Manage the storage and appraisal of non-archival records stored in the Records Centre and a finding aid network for same.
Set in place mechanisms for the development of our services (eg digitisation).
- Perform various management duties of the service (plans, policies, reports, budgets, funding applications, staff, H&S audits).